Description and Mechanism
Sofovir (Sofosbuvir) is a medicine used for the treatment of chronic HCV or Hepatitis C Genotype 1, 2, 3 and 4 in adults or people above 18 years. This medication is reckoned in the pharmaceutical industry due to its higher and faster cure rate with fewer contraindications and side-effects.
This drug works by constraining the enzyme that is essential for HCV replication. Studies has shown complete cure of HCV through Sofovir. It is a nucleotide polymerase inhibitor, and its works by interfering with the growth of virus itself.
- Treats all Genotypes of HCV
- Fewer side-effects
- Easily available
Each film coated tablet of Sofovir contains 400 mg Sofosbuvir.
Dosage and Administration
- Sofovir should be taken withRibavirin or Pegylated interferon
- It should be taken once in a day with or without meal with a full glass of water
- Do not take more than recommended dosage
- Treament with Sofovir may vary between 12 to 24 weeks depending upon the severity of infection
Fatigue, nausea, insomnia, headache, diarrhea, chills and anemia are a few side-effects of Sofovir observed in several patients. If any serious side-effect noticed, then patients should consult their physician immediately.
Contraindications and Warnings
- Use of Sofosbuvir is not prescribed for the patients suffering with severe liver or kidney problems or depression.
- Consultation with the doctor should be done if taking amiodarone (utilized for serious uneven heartbeats). It may increase the risk of slow heartbeat when consume along with Sofosbuvir.
- Extreme care should be taken to evade pregnancy by the patients on treatment with sofosbuvir.
- Take essential precautions since, sofosbuvir does not thwart the growth of infection to other persons via sharing needles, sexual contact, or contact with blood.
|Package Size||28 Tabs|
|Package Type||Plastic Bottle|
|Expiry||1 Year to 2 Years|
|Indication(s)||Hepatitic C Virus (HCV) Infection|